Go Back   Developer Program Forum > Sports API > API Services

API Services Discussion about the Sports Application Programming Interface (API) ,the platform on which participants in the Developers Program are able to build customised tools and interfaces to use with the Betfair (Sports) Exchange.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Match start time

Hi everybody. I live in London. How can I accurately determine when a tennis match starts?

Currently I call getMarketInfo to determine it but this has proved very unreliable. First, it seems that the event start time changes occasionally -- this means I have to keep checking it all the time. Second, the API documentation does not clarify the time zone which it assumes. I thought it was GMT but after all it seems to be returning GMT+1 (i.e. BST, London time).
Is this expected behaviour? What will happen when we switch back to GMT time?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugeinvariance View Post
Hi everybody. I live in London. How can I accurately determine when a tennis match starts?

Currently I call getMarketInfo to determine it but this has proved very unreliable.
inPlayDelay 0 -> 5 transition is the most reliable method.
Betfair starts match when players go to warm-up. Real match start is usually 5-15 munutes delayed after inPlayDelay become 5 sec

There is another method. Prices start to change rapidly as match starts, but this method does not work for prices like 1.05 start price - such prices do not moved by a single point scored
Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. Looking at the delay is how I determine whether the match has already started but what I want to know is when it will start rather than if it has started. Essentially, I want my bot to wake up X minutes before the match is scheduled to start but to do that I must know when that will happen!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Still see no reasons why we cannot poll inPlayDelay. There are lots of sites that provide Tennis live scores, the official one is on ATP/WTA sites.

There no much activity on pre-play tennis markets, no reasons why they are of interest
Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Ok, this is a bug on Betfair's side. The Konta-Pervak match and Starace - Bautista-Agut matches were meant (according to the "Rules" tab) to start at 15:30 and 15:15 (both GMT+1) respectively but getMarketInfo returns 15:30 for one and 16:15 for the other.

So it seems that one cannot rely on getMarketInfo to determine the event start time. Any advice from somebody on Betfair's side would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:56 PM

None of these times by the way agree with the times on form.tennis.betfair.com (the Starace match is said to start at 1600BST and the Konta at 1715BST). These seem to be the correct times as neither match has started so far. So the API seems quite unreliable in this respect.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM

I believe marketTime in the GetMarket() response will always return the expected start time in GMT/UTC. There's nothing wrong with waking up at the expected time and then polling the in-play delay until it is > 0, in fact I think that is the only way. Unless you HTTP web scrape a 3rd party website.