Go Back   Developer Program Forum > Sports API > Java

Java Discussions about Java. Java technology's versatility, efficiency, platform portability, and security make it the ideal technology for network computing. From laptops to datacenters, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Default JavaScript Betfair apps

I am aware that Java and JavaScript are different languages, but they both have the word "Java" in it, so I dare to post to this forum.

If some of you want use JavaScript for developing Betfair applications, please have a look at http://forum.bdp.betfair.com/showthread.php?t=1522
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Of course. If there was a forum titled bread, and you discussed bakers, why the hell not.

I am following your tutorial. Waiting for the rest. I used to program many years ago, never done Java, so since I am starting afresh, I figure why not Java, and why not javascript. But I got a mind for programming, so I guess I will pick it up ok.

Last edited by zencomico; 05-04-2012 at 11:25 AM
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM

did you mean this tutorial?
https://github.com/AlgoTrader/betfair-sports-api/wiki
Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Yes, This is the one I have begun to follow, using your programming skills as a guide.

Last edited by zencomico; 05-05-2012 at 09:49 AM
Old 05-05-2012, 10:13 AM

I do hope to finish tutorial in a couple of weeks, it seems to be quite easy to write it
Old 05-05-2012, 11:09 AM

thats great...thanks for your sharing

I think I also need to work out, how to get all the data in some GUI format, I guess in a web page, so I can enter my bets, and also look at the data in chrome, which will work with the node.

I want a way to enter all my markets in a gui on web page, and store them for when I am ready to then send them into betfair, to place my bets/lays. I would like to do it with the javascript.

Last edited by zencomico; 05-05-2012 at 11:13 AM
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM

There will never be any GUI support. I embed HTTP server to every BF application I write, so I use a browser as a GUI. Writing a HTTP server in node.js is easy, I use express framework for it.

A good GUI can be written in any language and any platform but it is certainly out of scope of the betfair-sports-api and out of interest for me. I am fully satisfied with my browser picture.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 AM

Dear AlgoTrader,

I think you misunderstand me. I am not requesting you to do anything. I am simply suggesting what I plan to do. I am simply beginning with your tutorial as a base to begin with.

And quite clearly, as I previously stated, I will also be using a browser as a GUI also!! -
Quote:
I want a way to enter all my markets in a gui on web page
I am just saying, that I will personally need to learn more to work out how to run a http server like you said.

I will take your advice, and also use express framework. Thankyou for your help.

Last edited by zencomico; 05-06-2012 at 05:25 AM
Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 AM

Feel free to ask any questions and I especially appreciate any feedback on the tutorial. I am not a native speaker, so English fixes are also accepted
Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 AM

Sure will. So far I have found the tutorial very well written and easy to follow. Your tutorial has come at a perfect timing for me. I am very much enjoying this project so far. I have installed express.

Where is the best place to ask questions? Here or via your tutorial site?

Your javascipt is a great template to work with.

My major quest now is to figure out how how to do the html page, that works with express. Do you know where I can find a very simple template? (I am very new to java and html, my background was C for how I learnt programming)
Where I can paste some files into my http server directories (public,views etc.), and see it in action?

Just some simple files, so I can navigate to a html page, that with a click can work with node to fetch some data and display for me. Something very simple. Does not have to be betfair related. Just so long as it fetches some data from the web with a click and displays in the same html.

If I can can get a very simple template, I am very good at building from that. But if I do not have a template, I am not very good. :P

I have been to the express website, but I cannot find a simple server already setup I can download.

I am thinking what I need, is a jade server template. Will keep searching.

I have got this far browsing my loopback IP:

Quote:
Express

Welcome to Express
Hahahahaha. Now I am a fish out of water. Template needed so I can begin to see the data that node fetches for me!! :P

Also, might I ask what do you use to edit html and javascript? (that works with windows). Notepad is just not cutting it for me. :P

------------------

For the new bit in the tutorial:

Quote:
// eventTypeIds 1-soccer, 2-tennis
var inv = session.getAllMarkets({
eventTypeIds : [ 2 ]
Where are you getting these eventtypeIDs from? Where Can I find a list of all these IDs, so I can get other markets?

Sorry to ask such simple questions. Much appreciated!!!

Last edited by zencomico; 05-06-2012 at 08:01 AM

Tags
javascript