Go Back   Developer Program Forum > Sports API > General Sports Programming

General Sports Programming General Sports API programming discussion

Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Default Horse Racing Morning WAP

Hello everyone. I'm not a programmer but I'm wondering if a particular feature can be built into a betting bot.

I am currently researching all the horse racing past results for Betfair Starting Prices from the Betfair files found here: http://promo.betfair.com/betfairsp/prices/.

One of the fields of information available in these results files is the 11.00am Average Weighted Odds (MORNINGWAP column). I am using this figure to compare with the Betfair Starting Price to determine whether a horse was a drifter or steamer and researching how this effects profit / loss over the long term.

If I am able to identify a valid reason to use this criteria to either back or lay steamers / drifters, (and I am fairly confident that I will), I will need a betting bot that is able to check the MORNINGWAP - Weighted Average Odds of the horses at 11.00 am - and then to compare it to the BSP and either place the bet or not according to the percentage of movement between these two prices.

This feature does not appear to be available in any of the bots I have looked at and I'm wondering if it can be incorporated into a bot based on the information available through Betfair during the morning. I feel sure the WAP must be available somewhere if Betfair are providing it in their SP results files above.

If this information cannot be obtained pre-race, then I'm wondering if anyone can think of any useful purpose it serves having it in the race results files!

I appreciate any help anyone can give.
Juliet
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Default Bfexplorer PRO

You can use Bfexplorer PRO and its facility for building betfair bots:
Bfexplorer BOT SDK and what betfair bots you can program in C# or Visual Basic
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Thank you Pato, but as I said, I'm not a programmer and I don't really think this answers my question. I appreciate your taking the time to respond though.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:10 PM

The WAP is not available via the API, however it may be possible to calculate it if you know the formula betfair are using. I assume they are calculating the price for each runner based on the amount of money traded at 11am each day. But they could be averaging that against the current price and/or the Projected BSP. Without knowing the exact formula, that figure is useless.

I suggest you email betfair and ask how the WAP's are calculated, then somebody may be able to put that into a bot for you.

Last edited by wotsisname; 03-10-2012 at 05:14 PM
Old 03-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Might be interesting for you:

www.mariasracingforum.com/lay_early_back_at_betfair_sp_later
Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 AM

Thank you wotsisname! That is very helpful. I'll definitely email Betfair with the query about the calculation.

Regards
Juliet
Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM

You must calculate WAP from betfair prices yourself. Your betting strategy is unique so you will not find a product that would allow you to execute it without any effort on your side.

I mean you will need a software developer to program it for you if you are not able to do it.

Projected Betfair starting price
Betfair trading and weighted average price